About the Library

About the Library

My Account-Renew Online

Mission Statement

The mission of the Coronado Public Library is to acquire  and make available a collection of books, audio-visual, and other library and information resources to meet the  informational, recreational, and cultural needs of the community and to actively promote reading, life-long learning, and the pursuit of knowledge.

Library Staff

Christian Esquevin Director c.esquevin@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-7395
Franklin Escobedo Principal Librarian f.escobedo@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2470
Elizabeth Page Senior Librarian, Head of Youth Services e.page@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2471
Vy Tu Senior Librarian, Head of Technical Services v.tu@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2473
Christopher Morris Library Technician, Head of Circulation Services c.morris@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2472
John Donel Librarian II, Technology Librarian jdonel@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2474
Eileen Hauser Librarian II, Audio-Visual & Programs e.hauser@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2482
Eileen Lawson Librarian II, Periodicals & Genealogy e.lawson@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2481
Jacqueline Luna Librarian II, Teen Librarian j.luna@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2479
Maria Herrera Accounting Technician mherrera@coronado.ca.us 619-522-7392
Candice Hooper Library Assistant III, Exhibits & Archives c.hooper@coronado.lib.ca.us 619-522-2476
Elizabeth Skelly Administrative Secretary eskelly@coronado.ca.us 619-522-2475

Library History

The Coronado Library was founded in 1890 by the Coronado Library and Free Reading Room Association.  It was supported for many years by gifts and fund raising.  In 1895 the Hotel del Coronado provided a rent-free small pavilion building for use for the "Coronado Beach Library", which was located by the trolley stop across the street from the hotel.  John D. Spreckels, then owner of the Hotel del Coronado, was later asked by the Coronado Library Trustees to build a permanent library building.  Mr. Spreckels agreed and had architect Harrison Albright design and build a classical revival library building on the West Plaza Park in 1909. 
 
The park and the library building were given by John D. Spreckels to the City of Coronado and the people of Coronado.  The building still stands at 640 Orange Avenue.  This original building serves as the Spreckels Reading Room within the 40,000 square feet newly remodeled and expanded library building.
 
The Library includes study space at tables and carrels, lounge seating, wireless throughout, a large public meeting room and smaller conference room, separate Children's Library and Teen area, an Exhibit Gallery, public-access computers and collections in various subjects and formats. A used bookstore, the Second Hand Prose, is also operated by the Friends of the Library.
Download Ask Coronado App